Peekapoos are a mixed breed that comes from a union of a Poodle and a Pekingese. They are very affectionate, loyal, and protective. As a mix between a designer breed and a small breed, they have some health concerns that need to be addressed by feeding them the proper food.
They have small stomachs, so the formula needs to be nutrient-dense. Also, they may need dry food that helps with oral health. To make sure you have the right food for your precious pooch, we compiled a list of some of the best dog food for Peekapoos.
Peekapoo Dog Food Reviews
Purina Bella Natural Bites
As we said in the intro, peekapoos have some unique features due to being a designer breed. That means you want to find the right dog food. This food from Purina has a mixture of textures and ingredients that is perfect for your little one.
Bella Natural Bites are crafted with a formula that is nutrient-dense so that the higher metabolism of your Peekapoo is supported. Out of all the benefits of this food, the fact that it has protein-rich foods as the first ingredient is what we like the most.
Despite the high-quality ingredients and care when composing the formula, there are still some pups that this option may not be good for. The formula uses several grains and fillers, which may not sit well with the more sensitive Peekapoos out there.
- Packed with lots of nutritionally rich foods
- Does not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Offers a varying texture for a more palatable meal
- Crafted with an antioxidant blend to improve your pup’s immune system
- Contains several grains
- Has fillers that may be hard for your Peekapoo to digest
Natural Balance L.I.D. Small Breed Dry Food
The next food that is a good fit for your Peekapoo’s needs is this limited ingredient formula from Natural Balance. The use of lamb is a great choice because the protein is rich in amino acids, which can help with your pup’s muscle development.
Though this food is high-quality, the low price tag makes this a great option for those working with a tighter budget. The use of brown rice gives this formula a good level of fiber, as well, which is great for healthy digestion.
There are a few things about this food that Peekapoo owners out there should be aware of. The first is that there is lamb in the formula, but that lamb is noted as lamb meal. This means that the quality of lamb is in question, as the lamb meal could contain waste products from said lamb. Other than that, there are no probiotics included, which might be needed if your little one has a sensitive stomach.
- Great price versus value
- Crafted with care for pups with food allergies
- Size of the kibble is perfect for little mouths
- Amino acids included in the formula
- Not crafted with any probiotics
- Lamb meal is the first ingredient
Nutro Ultra Small Breed Dry Food
The next perfect Peekapoo dog food is from Nutro and is a formula that mixes everything they need into one food. It is protein-rich but also contains fruits that are high in antioxidants and other ingredients that make this a nutrient-rich option.
The combination of all the ingredients creates food that is high in amino acids that can help your pup maintain its muscle quality. This dog food is crafted with a lot of ingredients that are perfect for your adult Peekapoo. This includes three lean types of meat and no preservatives.
That being said, the kibble size is a little worrisome. It is larger than many of the other options we are looking at, and that may make it more challenging to eat. Also, there have been some issues with the quality consistency of the food.
- Allergy-free formula without preservatives or chicken by-products
- Packed with protein from the three lean types of meat used
- Balanced nutritional index for healthy skin
- Contains taurine for improved eye and ear health
- Some have issues with inconsistent quality
- Kibble size is a little larger than other small dog breed formula
Hill’s Science Diet Small Paws Canned Dog Food
Wet food can be helpful in many ways. It can make dry food easier to bite down on, and it can make it easier to hide any medication that your peekapoo may be on. This formula is specially designed for small breeds of pups with recognizable ingredients, and it is packed with minerals and vitamins.
With all of that being said, this formula is a great option to help maintain your pup’s overall health, especially if they have a problem with their weight. Along with that, high protein levels maintain muscle health, and the food is easily digested.
The formula does contain some beef by-products, which may concern some who are looking for a limited ingredient formula. Also, if your Peekapoo is older than 6 years old, this food is not a good option.
- All ingredients included in the formula are recognizable
- Good formula for weight control
- Crafted with a high-end protein source for better muscle development
- Digestible recipe helps ease the absorption of nutrients
- Formula ingredients include beef by-products
- Not designed for dogs 6 years old or older
Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Small Breed Wet Food
This portion-controlled wet food is packed with great ingredients, vitamins, and minerals that will help maintain your Peekapoo’s health and energy levels. Some ingredients help with joint health, as well as digestive health.
One of the things we like about this food is that its first ingredient is real deboned beef. On top of that, there is a heightened level of omega fatty acids and absolutely no gluten. Along with all that, there are prebiotics and probiotics included in the formula for better digestion.
That being said, there are some issues with the smell. The odor of this dog food may not be appealing to the human serving it, and it seems that there are some dogs that feel the same way. Also, the package is sometimes difficult to get open.
- Made with real deboned beef
- Rich in omega fatty acids
- Balanced nutritional formula, including prebiotics, probiotics, and minerals for enhanced digestibility
- Smell is a little off-putting
- Packaging can be difficult to open
Peekapoos are great companions, and we know you want to have your pup be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. The best way to do that is with the right food, and the options above fit that bill.