Bernedoodles are a beautiful mix of a Bernese mountain dog and a poodle. The mixture turns out to deliver a lovable and friendly pup that is always on the lookout for playtime. Because of the mixture, these pups will need to be fed the right foods.
The food you are looking for needs to have enough carbs and proteins to give your pup the energy it needs to match its playfulness, as well as a well-crafted formula that uses no fillers or preservatives. Here are a few options that we think are the best dog food for a Bernedoodle.
Dog Foods for Bernedoodles Reviews
Diamond Naturals Adult Dry Food
Bernedoodles are a hearty breed, but just like most other dogs, having food that is crafted with the right ingredients is important to maintaining your pup’s health. This formula is created with minerals and vitamins, as well as lean proteins and probiotics.
The price tag for this well-crafted dog food is one of the biggest advantages this food brings with it. That, along with the protein levels and the fact there is no corn or wheat, makes it a good option for your Bernedoodle’s sensitive tummy.
Though it is very well-made, there are some issues that we should discuss. The lamb used in the recipe is listed as lamb meal. Along with this, there have been a few pups who have exhibited excessive thirst when eating this food.
- Nutrition and budget-friendly option
- Designed for Bernedoodles with food allergies
- Lean proteins used in the recipe for improving muscular development
- No wheat or corn used in the recipe
- Some dogs have experienced excessive thirst
- Lamb meal is used instead of lamb
Natural Balance L.I.D. Grain-Free Dry Food
This dog food is perfect for your Bernedoodle that has food allergies and a sensitive stomach. It is crafted with venison and only venison as the protein portion of the recipe. This gives it a unique flavor that your pup will love.
The formula is also grain-free and uses limited carbs, which makes it even better for dogs with sensitive stomachs. This also makes it great for weight management. Mixed into the recipe is flaxseed, which is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
The food isn’t perfect, though, as there are a couple of issues that we found with it. The first is that many users have experienced their pups smelling a bit like cat pee. Also, the food crumbles easily, which may be frustrating.
- Crafted with no grains and very few carbs
- Flaxseed is used in formula to help deliver shiny, healthy coats
- Only uses one animal protein source, making it good for pups with food sensitivities
- Omega-3 fatty acids help with skin issues
- Some have experienced their dog smelling bad after eating
- A lot of crumbles and dust in the bag
Purina Pro Plan Sport All Life Dry Food
If you have a young Bernedoodle, you may have a lot of energy on your hands. That means you need food that helps support that strength and endurance. This specially-made formula has everything your pup will need to play for hours.
The formula is balanced with a 30% protein to 20% fat ratio. This helps with building muscle and giving them plenty of energy. Along with that, this dog food is enhanced with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants for a completely healthy option for your Bernedoodle.
The formula is made for an active dog, so if your pup is a little more sedentary, this formula could lead to some issues, including weight gain. On top of that, if your pup has a sensitive stomach, the use of grains in the recipe may be of concern.
- High in protein and healthy fats
- Specifically crafted for active dogs
- Crafted with ingredients that maximize joint health
- Fortified with probiotics for improved digestive health
- Calorie count could be a weight management issue for sedentary dogs
- Formula contains grain, which may not be good for pups with digestive issues
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food
This dehydrated food is crafted with high-quality products, like free-range chicken and a wide selection of vegetables and fruits. The lack of corn or wheat makes this a great choice for pups with a stomach that is a little sensitive.
The dehydration process makes the food compact, but when rehydrated, you will be surprised at how many servings you get from the food. On top of the value, the formula is packed with tons of nutritional goodness for your pup. That includes a lack of hormones or antibiotics, which elevates the food to new health levels.
Because of all the special processes and high-grade ingredients, there is one big problem with the food…the price. Other than that, even when rehydrated, the food has a unique texture that some pups just don’t like.
- Ingredients used are human-grade identifiable foods
- Box will make four times the amount of food for more value
- Due to dehydration, all food maintains its peak nutritional values
- No hormones or antibiotics used in the recipe
- Price is a bit on the expensive side
- Some dogs may not eat it due to the unique texture
Nulo Freestyle Dry Puppy Food
If you are working with a Bernedoodle puppy, then you will need special food. This food from Nulo is formulated with ingredients that make sure your pup gets all the amino acids, fatty acids, and minerals they need for a healthy growth cycle.
The formula is designed with nothing that will hinder your pup’s healthy lifestyle. In fact, the formula is designed with a low glycemic index. This helps with improved bone health, and along with that, it is finished with veggies and fruits. That addition helps enhance your pup’s immune system, too.
There is only one major issue that we have with the food. The ingredients used have created a high calorie count, which may be good if your pup is overly active, but it could lead to some weight management issues in other dogs. Also, as a lesser issue, some dogs have gotten a little gassy after eating the food.
- Nutritional profile is well balanced and full of ingredients that are of high quality
- No chicken or egg proteins used in the recipe
- 80% animal proteins and DHA
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids included, improving coat and skin health
- A high percentage of carbohydrates make the food dense with calories
- Some dogs have experienced gas from the formula
If you are the lucky owner of one of a playful Bernedoodle pup, then making sure they have everything they need to be healthy is probably first on your must-do list. We hope this list of some of the best dog food available for them will help you with that.