Cavapoos are energetic and playful, which is why many people have chosen them as their companions. To keep them happy and healthy, though, you have to understand a few key things. These beautiful little guys have been known to be a bit picky when it comes to food.
On top of that, they tend to have sensitive stomachs and are prone to having food allergies and sensitivities. This means choosing the right food is vital, and that is why we have pulled together a few of the best dog food for Cavapoo options and have reviewed them below.
Dog Food for Cavapoos Reviews
Hill’s Hypo Treats
Like humans, dogs have food sensitivities, and that sometimes means special diets. If your Cavapoo has this concern, you may be on the hunt for a good treat for them. After all, they deserve it, and this veterinarian-formulated option is one of the best.
- 13% crude protein
- 8% crude fat
- 7% crude fiber
- Specially developed for pups with prescription diets
- Meant for adult stage dogs
One of our favorite things to do is to give our pups treats. It is one of the ways we let them know we love them, but with a sensitive stomach, finding a good treat is hard. Thankfully, this hypo-treat seems to do the trick. Not only is it great for dogs who have a special diet, but it is also great for dental health, too.
Now, we may love this treat, but there are definitely some issues that we think should be mentioned. For older dogs, the size and hardness may be challenging for them, so if your Cavapoo is a little older, you may want to consider another option.
- Formulated for dogs with food sensitivities and skin conditions
- Made to help with dental health
- Nice smell and good taste
- Even suitable for dogs with diabetes
- Might be too large for older dogs
- Can be too hard for older dogs or those with dental problems
Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula
If you have multiple pups in the house, then we know you are looking for a good deal on a larger bag of food. The next food we suggest for your Cavapoo is a dry food that is designed for adult dogs.
- 26% crude protein
- 16% crude fat
- 2.5% crude fiber
- Meant for adult dogs
- Probiotic blend added
As your dog ages, its stomach becomes even more sensitive, so when your furry friend already has a sensitive stomach, age heightens the need for special food. This next formula is crafted with whole foods and real cage-free chicken.
That, combined with the lack of fillers and preservatives, makes this food very digestible, which is what your Cavapoo needs.
There are a few concerns, though, that we have when it comes to this option. Many feel that the smell is a little off-putting, and that could go for your Cavapoo, as well. Also, a few people have mentioned the food attracting ants, so you may want to store it in a sealed container.
- Crafted with real cage-free chickens and whole foods
- Highly digestible regardless of the dog’s age
- No fillers, preservatives, corn, or wheat included in the formula
- Good price versus value compared to other products
- Some feel the smell leaves something to be desired
- Problems with attracting ants
Kibbles ‘n Bits Original Savory Beef & Chicken
Kibbles n’ Bits is one of those food brands that has been around for a long time. This formula is developed with an active dog in mind, which is why we know it is a great option for any Cavapoo out there.
- 19% crude protein
- 8 – 12% crude fat
- 4% crude fiber
- Dual texture formula
Kibbles ‘n Bits Original Savory Beef & Chicken offers something that none of the other foods we looked at on this list offers… texture. It may seem like a small thing, but having two different textures may just keep your Cavapoo interested in the food. As a puppy parent, though, what is great is the use of high-quality protein. This will keep your pup energetic and active.
Unfortunately, within that formula, there are some ingredients that some may find worrisome. The food contains soy, wheat, and corn, which may be a problem for owners whose pup has a gluten sensitivity. Your Cavapoo will also have to change food if they become pregnant or are nursing.
- Crafted with both crunchy and soft bits for variation in texture
- Use of high-quality protein helps with muscle health and energy
- Budget-friendly for dog owners who want better quality food
- Can be used for breeds of all sizes
- Contains soy, wheat, and corn
- Not good for dogs that are pregnant or nursing
Natural Balance L.I.D. Salmon & Sweet Potato Formula
If you are anything like us, you have had at least one pup that has a sensitive stomach. This might be from a food sensitivity or just nerves, so finding the right food is important. That is why opting for a limited ingredient formulated food is a good choice. This next food is designed for this type of diet.
- 24% crude protein
- 10% crude fat
- 4% crude fiber
- Limited ingredient formula
- No pea, pea protein, lentils legumes, corn, wheat, or soy
As with anything, the fewer ingredients, the better it is for you. Any food that doesn’t have a laundry list of ingredients will be purer. We like this one because it is crafted by professionals. On top of that, the food is low-calorie, which will allow you to manage your pup’s weight better.
When you get this “gourmet” food, you end up with one major problem…the price. Some feel the price is a bit much for what you get. Also, in regards to the performance of the food, there have been some dogs that have experienced constipation.
- Formulated with a limited ingredient recipe
- Created by certified veterinarians and animal nutritionists
- Perfect for dogs with allergies and food sensitivities
- Designed with a low-calorie formula for better weight management
- The price is a little steep
- Some dogs have experienced constipation
Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Canned Food
Some dogs love wet food, so we knew we had to include one on this list. We chose a variety pack from Purina that is crafted carefully with plenty of nutrients and antioxidants that will help your Cavapoo stay healthy.
- 11% crude protein
- 3.5% crude fat
- 1.5% crude fiber
- Meant for adult dogs
- Extra antioxidants in the formula
Whenever you can invest in dog food that is tasty for the little ones and good for them, it is a win-win. That is what Purina provides with this canned food. The formula is designed with increased antioxidants and nutrients to ensure your Cavapoo is healthy and ready for those playdates at the park.
That being said, there are a few issues that we feel you should be aware of. The meat chunks in the food are quite large, and for a pup with a smaller mouth, this could be challenging, so you might need to cut it up. Also, there have been some dogs that have experienced severe gas.
- Crafted with double the amount of recommended antioxidants
- Designed to be nutrient-rich for improved health
- Comes with different flavors for more variety
- Very palatable and easy to digest
- Some dogs have experienced severe gas
- Meat chunks might be too big for smaller dogs
Being aware of your little one’s sensitive stomach will ensure that you can enjoy your Cavapoo’s energetic, friendly personality. We hope the options we looked at above have given you a few good choices for your pup’s food selection.