We love our little Maltipoos, but like with all poodle crossbreeds, grooming can be challenging. Trying to ensure that this playful pooch looks good at all times requires having all the right gear.
One of the most important pieces of equipment has to be the brush. Your Maltipoo will have heavy shedding periods and can be prone to tangling. That means you have to look for a brush with certain features.
We know the process of finding the right brush can be challenging, and that is why we wanted to share with you our choices for the best dog brushes for Maltipoos.
Dog Brush for Maltipoos Reviews
Wahl Dual Level Slicker Brush
Some pups have sensitive skin, and that leads to needing a special brush. This dual-level pet slicker from Wahl is a perfect option.
- Slicker style
- Ergonomic non-slip handle
- Dual-level stainless-steel pins
- Dimensions – 1.9” x 4.5” x 8.1”
- Weight – 4.1 oz.
Some Maltipoos are prone to sensitive skin, and having the wrong brush can agitate this. If you are worried about that with your four-legged friend, then this dual-level slicker brush is a good choice. The pins are capped with rounded plastic. These pins also come in multiple levels so that you have better coverage when brushing your pup.
This brush may be less harsh on your pup and will get tangles out easily, but there are some things that we are not big fans of. Both of our concerns relate to the use rather than the performance. The handle has been known to be uncomfortable, and removing hair from the bristles is difficult, as well.
- Designed with protective pins for less agitation of skin
- Less harsh than typical slicker brushes
- Uses a mix of bristles levels to help improve the silkiness of the coat
- Easily gets knots out without hurting your pup
- Handle may not be very comfortable to hold
- Removing hair from the bristles is very difficult
Hartz Small Slicker Brush
As dog owners, we know that the reputations of brands matter, but there is so much more to this slicker brush from Hartz than just a brand name.
- Stainless-steel extra-fine pins
- Breather holes
- Ergonomic handle
- Dimensions – 3.3” x 1.6” x 9”
- Weight – 1 oz.
Your Maltipoo will need to be brushed regularly, so choosing a brush that is both good for them and comfortable for you to use is a definite concern. This slicker brush from Hartz has an ergonomic handle that will make it easy to maintain your dog’s grooming schedule. The actual brush is crafted with durable bristles, and they are capped for less agitation. Plus, it is budget-friendly.
We included this brush because there is a lot that we loved about it, but that doesn’t mean there are not ways it could be improved. The brush is on the small side, so if you have big hands, it might not be as comfortable as some other options. Also, the bristles are a little stiff.
- Overall design is comfortable to use
- Bristles are durable and rounded for less agitation
- Good price versus value
- Helps remove dead hair and tangles
- On the small side so not good for larger dogs
- Bristles may be a little on the firm side
Poodle Pet Round Bristle Brush
Does your pup deal with sensitive skin? How about dander buildup? We know how hard that can make finding a brush, which is why we knew we had to share this one with you.
- Crafted with rubber and plastic
- Round-edged bristles
- Comfortable handle
- Hanger hole
- Dimensions – 9” x 4.4” 1”
- Weight – 3.2 oz.
Every Maltipoo’s coat is different. Some may even have tighter curls, and this feature of their coat will require special attendance. The brush that can do this for you is this model from Poodle Pet. The bristles easily glide through tight curls and are gentle on your pup’s skin, too. Along with this, if you have multiple dogs, this design can be used on other breeds!
That being said, there are still a few things that we think you might need to know before you make your decision. There have been some Maltipoo owners who are not a big fan of the angle. They feel this detracts from the comfort of use. Also, for the brush, you will pay a little more than some feel it is worth.
- Great for Maltipoos with skin issues
- Pins go through even tight curls easily
- Makes dealing with tangles simple
- Great for homes with multiple breeds of dogs
- Price may be a little steep
- Problems with the angle of the brush being uncomfortable
The Pet Portal Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
One of the most exhausting and frustrating parts of grooming your four-legged friend is the cleaning of the brush. Some make it easy, though, like this self-cleaning model. It has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion for us.
- Stainless-steel bristles
- Push-button cleaning system
- Ergonomic handle
- Dimensions – 5.9” x 2.8” x 2.2”
- Weight – 6.1 oz.
If you can make something take less time and still get it done right, it is a win-win. Grooming your pup is no different, so this uniquely designed brush had to be on our list of suggested brushes. It is fitted with a push-button cleaning system that makes cleanup simple. On top of that great feature, it is crafted with durable bristles and is not nearly as pricey as you might expect.
Even with all that, though, it does have some limitations. If your Maltipoo has a thicker coat, it may not work as well. Also, while the bristles are durable, the body of the brush is constructed from plastic. That always decreases the durability.
- Designed to be self-cleaning
- Durable, stainless-steel bristles
- Can be used on most coats
- Good option for a tighter budget
- Isn’t great for use with a thick coat
- Some concerns about the durability of the body
Poodle Pet Double-Sided Brush
The last brush we wanted to share with you is a double-sided option that is designed for detangling and smoothing. When working with a small storage space, having a tool that does two jobs is good, and that is why we included this brush on our list.
- Double-sided design
- Anti-static pins
- Pliable brushes
- Anti-slip handle
- Dimensions – 11.4” x 5.1” x 2.3”
- Weight – 4.9 oz.
We have looked at slicker-style brushes primarily on this list, so we wanted to give you Maltipoo owners an alternative option. We like this dual-sided brush from Poodle Pet, and of all the things we like about it, the ability to use it on sensitive areas of your pooch’s body is by far the most impressive.
It is a perfect size for traveling, and the fact that it does multiple jobs makes it even more perfect. However, there is one aspect of the design that may cause some to pause when looking at it…the weight. It is a little heavier than many other models. It is also not as great for pups with sensitive skin, as the pins are not capped.
- Dual-sided design allows for multiple uses
- Handle is crafted to make it comfortable to use
- Small enough to travel with
- Gentle enough to be used on the backs of legs and hocks, as well as on faces
- A little on the heavy side
- Some may find fault with the uncapped pins
Your sweet, little, four-legged friend deserves the best, and that includes the tools you use to make them look fantastic. We hope that at least one of these brushes is what you were looking for.